Spring is finally here. After a long and snowy winter it’s finally warmed up and the sun has come out of hiding. When spring comes around it always makes me eager to store away my winter turtlenecks and sweaters and bring out the light and breezy items. I always am ready to give my closet some new additions but what is most important is focusing on key pieces. Pieces that will last and not go out of style next season. They can be incorporated into several different outfits and give you a sense of sophistication.
Tim Gunn is my man. Love him on Project Runway, love him on his Guide to Style. He knows style and he knows it well.
He has his Guide to Style checklist of 10 must have items to own.
1. Basic black dress – I bought a beautiful basic black dress at Ann Taylor a few months ago that had been marked down tremendously. I didn’t own a simple black dress and knew that it needed to be in my wardrobe. A classic cut and fabric it is the perfect addition. Not to mention the great deal. I’m slightly obsessed with Ann Taylor’s new lines of clothing. They have really upped their game and have some beautiful pieces.
2. Trench coat – I have been coveting a trench coat for a few years now. Never finding one that fit me perfectly, I was determined to wait it out until I eventually did. Last year I went to Jcrew and tried on their classic trench. It had just come to the store and was beautiful. Quite pricey, I decided to wait for a sale. I believe you can get anything you want at Jcrew eventually on sale. Thats when I buy. They had a promotion in the winter for 40% off of coats and jackets and thats when I snuck in and made the purchase. In a classic beige it is a piece that will be a long lasting item in my closet.
3. Classic dress pants – I have a good amount of dress pants for work so this one was already covered. It is difficult however for me to find a really good fit in dress pants. I am still on the search.
4. White shirt – a white button down shirt is a timeless piece that can dress up a simple pair of jeans and give yourself a little sophistication. When I see a nice crisp white shirt I love it.
5. Jeans – I do believe in investing in 2 pairs of good quality jeans. One you can wear with heels and one that you can wear with flats. My favorite pair of jeans I own are my dark denim Citizens of Humanity jeans in the straight leg Ava cut. By far the most versatile jean. I can wear them with flip flops, with heels, with boots. They’re amazing. In such a dark wash they are also a dressy jean. I advise you to go to a nice store to try on the brand and see how they fit. I know my size in citizen of humanity, so I will buy them when they are highly discounted on sites like Ruelala and Hautelook. I bought this pair of jeans a few years ago and they still look brand new and keep their shape. A great investment.
6. Cashmere sweater – I currently do not own a cashmere sweater. Hopefully one day!
7. Skirt – An A line skirt is what is usually suggested. I am still in the search for a good A line skirt.
8. Day dress – A pretty day dress can put an extra spring in your step. It makes you feel feminine and beautiful and nothing beats that. I have been loving the large floral prints in style this season and also the ruffles.
9. Blazer – I have a style crush on Lauren Conrad. I love how she always looks so put together in a simple yet chic way. She has a collection at Kohls now that I’m simply obsessed with. I believe that every single piece right now is on sale. I have been searching for a cute boyfriend blazer and decided to make the jump for the LC collection blazer. I bought it in 2 different sizes because i’m not sure how they will fit so i’ll just return the one after it comes in. I’ll let you know how I like it! It was a steal at $39.99. I’ll take it 🙂
10. A comfortable alternative to the sweatsuit – Something relaxed yet still has some style. Must find this asap.
What is your favorite piece in your wardrobe that you can not live without?
Mine is definitely my Citizens of Humanity jeans. In love with the perfect fit.